Thursday, May 7, 2009

Need-Blind Admissions for International Students

Need-blind admissions means that, whether or not you apply for financial aid will have no bearing on whether you are accepted or not. If you are an international student who needs financial aid, then this list of colleges is very important:

Amherst College (www.amherst.edu)
Dartmouth College (www.dartmouth.edu)
Harvard University (www.harvard.edu)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (www.mit.edu)
Middlebury College (www.middlebury.edu)
Princeton University (www.princeton.edu)
Williams College (www.williams.edu)
Yale University (www.yale.edu)

All these places have fantastic financial aid. They will cover your need 100%. These eight colleges are also highly selective. The sooner you start planning for college, the better. If you think you have a chance of getting into any of these colleges, then definitely apply! Even if that chance is minimal.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot! Your list's really helpful. I was wondering if you knew if any more colleges are going to extend need-blind admissions to International students in the near future. I graduate from high school in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I think we will see some colleges extending need-blind admissions to internationals, but only in a few years. Keep checking the college websites. I'm sure the list will be longer by 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middlebury is not really need-blind to internationals. I got in earlier this year, and when my family income changed (dad lost his job), Middlebury adamantly refused to consider my appeal to request for aid, causing me so much frustration. I really shouldn't have applied to Middlebury. Dartmouth, on the other hand, accepted my late request for aid and met 100% of my need. I found Middlebury's stand on its financial aid policy for internationals highly ambiguous: the school website says that "Middlebury follows a need-blind admission policy (for internationals) to the extent that financial resources allow". Basically in my opinion this is just total BS - you're either totally need-blind or you're not.

    ReplyDelete